Maranta leuconeura "Prayer Plant" 8"
Maranta leuconeura, commonly known as 'prayer plant' is is a species of flowering plant in the family Marantaceae. It gets its common name from the fact that its leaves stay flat during the day and then fold up like praying hands at night. The prayer plant is one of the most distinguishable tropicals, thanks to its beautiful decorative leaves. Maranta leuconeura has dark green leaves with broken up by splotches of light green on the mid vein separated by stripes of red.
- Light - bright indirect sunlight-partial shade
- Watering - even moisture, allow soil to dry slightly between waterings
- Soil - well drained all purpose potting mix
- Humidity - prefers high humidity
- Toxicity - not toxic to pets
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Maranta leuconeura - “Prayer Plant”
Light: Maranta is naturally a low growing plant, lending it to do best in bright, ambient light conditions. Too much direct sunlight should be avoided, as it bleaches the dramatic colors of the leaves.
Water: The maranta prefers evenly moist soil. It is okay for the first inch of soil to dry out, but ensure consistent moisture (not full saturation) to avoid wilting. Do not leave plants sitting in water. Mist leaves for ambient humidity.
Environment: Native to Brazil, the prayer plant thrives in humid, warm conditions. It will not survive below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic
- The prayer plant is named after its unique behavior of folding its leaves at sundown (the folding resembles praying hands). This behavior is an evolutionary characteristic influenced by its native habitat where most predators are active at night in the cooler temperatures. The folding leaves resemble a dead plant, discouraging predators from taking a bite.
- The maranta is a beautiful hanging plant that grows like philodendron and pothos, shooting leaves from the stem tips as it grows downward.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.