Phaius Orchid 8"
The Phaius orchid, commonly referred to as "Nun Cap Orchid" or "Swamp Orchid", is a genus of orchid with 45 different species. Large flowers and pleated leaves. The labellum has three lobes and a shallow pouch.
- Light - part sun to part shade
- Soil - orchid mix
- Watering - dry to the touch
Species and flower color can vary. If you do have a preference we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Orchidaceae (Orchid family)
The Orchidacaea or Orchid family incorporates thousands upon thousands of different plants, many of which are found commonly for use as houseplants. While each specific orchid type will have its particular needs, there are some general ideas that can lead to great success with your orchid growing.
Light: Many orchids will thrive in the brightest of light conditions, avoiding any prolonged exposure to direct sun rays. Instead, filtered sun or low-intensity sun rays will often encourage the best growth and best flowering cycle.
Water: Thoroughly soak your orchids roots once every week to two weeks, depending on their environment and the specific needs of the plant.
Environment: Orchids typically do not grow in the ground, but rather will root themselves on a porous surface or grow their roots into a loose accumulation of organic matter. Because of this a planting medium of bark and other ingredients (a standard “orchid mix”) is typically suitable. Provide ambient humidity and avoid any hot or cold temperature extremes.
Toxicity: No toxicity reported
- Orchids will typically flower annually or with some kind of seasonal pattern.
- Replace the potting medium annually, typically after a flower cycle. At this time you may remove any old root / foliage growth to make way for the next season’s growth.
*It is advisable that orchids are always planted in a container with drainage and of a porous material.Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.