Zantedeschia is a genus in the Araceae family. Commonly referred to as a "Calla Lilly" or an "Arum Lilly" depending on Species. Not a true Lilly, Calla or Arum at all however. Leaves can vary in shape and size but the flower always takes the form of a false pseudoanthium with a white or yellow spathe.
- Light - full sun to part shade depending on species
- Soil - potting mix
- Watering - dry to the touch depending on species
Species can vary. If you do have a preference in species or coloration we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size, shape and bloom state of each plant will vary.
Zantedeschia - “Calla Lily”
Zantedeschia is a beautiful plant with fluted flowers that stand atop long green stems with glossy, green foliage. Commonly called ‘Calla Lily,’ these plants are native to southern Africa and can be found growing in a wide variety of habitats. These plants belong to the arum family and are often grown for use as a cut flower.
Light: full sun to part shade. These plants prefer a cool sun.
Water: During the growing season, keep the soil damp, but not wet and soggy. If the soil feels dry to the touch at one to two inches below the surface, that means it is time to water again. Do not allow this plant to go dry until the dormant season. These plants will need a dormancy period in winter. After blooming, reduce watering until the leaves turn yellow. When the leaves have withered, stop watering. Slowly start watering again in early Spring.
Environment: Zantedeschia does well in average household temperatures. Keep away from blowing heat or a/c. When the plant has gone dormant, store in a dry, cool, dark place. In March, begin waking your plant by providing light and water. The bulb can be removed from the soil during this time or left in the pot as long as the soil is dry. Replace soil every two years for best results.
Toxicity: This plant is reported to be poisonous if ingested
Habit / SIze: Bushy, clumping plant with tall flower stalks. Approximately 20-30” tall.
- Zantedeschia flowers June- October with winter dormancy.
- The common name calla lily comes from the Greek word kallos meaning "beauty" or "a thing of beauty". These plants are not true lilies, but rather members of the arum family.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, help avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.