Adiantum macrophyllum 6"
The Adiantum macrophyllum, or large leaf maidenhair fern, is a soft arching plant that shows off a rosy colored leaf at infancy then matures to a green. This clumping guy will add color and texture to any shade container.
- Light - bright, filtered light
- Watering - even moisture
- Soil - potting mix
- Habit - mounding
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Adiantum - “Maidenhair Fern”
Adiantum or “Maidenhair Ferns” are a tender fern, but are worth the little extra gardening effort to maintain these elegant beauties among your indoor greenery.
Light: These delicate ferns prefer bright, indirect natural light. The brightest light will promote full, lush growth. Caution should be exercised to avoid any direct sun rays as these can be too harsh for the leaves.
Water: Soil should be kept evenly moist at ALL times. Check the soil often and water as soon as the soil surface no longer feels damp. Avoid standing water.
Environment: Average home temperatures are great for most ferns. Avoid excessively warm scenarios as this can cause stress to the plants. Maidenhair Ferns make a great terrarium plant. You’ll want to select a large piece of glass, as they can be fast, bushy growers. Supplemental humidity is often necessary and placing near a humidifier or misting routinely is recommended.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic.
Of Note:If your maidenhair fern dries out and its fronds turn brown and crisp, there may still be hope. Cut the fronds off at soil level, and keep the soil moist. Soon, new fronds should begin to unfurl. Unfortunately, if these do not appear readily, the plant may have previously gone too dry to repair.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.