Aechmea tayoensis 6"
A strange bromeliad with red to pink coloration in higher light. They can make for a good statement piece as they get pretty large comparative to other bromeliads. The inflorescence is red to rose pink in coloration and reminds us of some sort of alien artichoke.
- Light - full to part sun
- Watering - slight dry to the touch
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will the flower color and bloom state.
Bromeliaceae - “Bromeliad”
Light: Bright natural light, the brighter the better. Avoid intense direct rays especially from a South or West window.
Water: Water your bromeliad about every 7-10 days. The plant is designed to gather water in its bracts, found in the central part of the plant. Pour the water directly into the well of the plant no more than halfway up the vase. Wait a few minutes, then tip the plant slightly to allow the excess water to drain out. Typically allow the top inch of the soil to dry between watering and water the soil well enough so it is slightly moist, but never thoroughly wet.
Environment: Bromeliads like warmer temperatures but should not be located near a heat or air conditioning vent. They prefer humid air and thrive in peat-moss based soil.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic but not considered edible.
- Pineapples and Tillandsia “air plants” are in the Bromeliad family.
- Propagation: After the bromeliad blooms, the mother plant will start producing "pups" around the bottom of the plant. These young plants will grow to be another bromeliad. The original plant will start to die as the younger plants are growing.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.