Asparagus retrofractus 4"
The Asparagus Fern is not a fern at all nor is it the asparagus that you can eat. It has its name because it looks like the top greens of the aforementioned veggie. Also called the Ming Fern, it can look like puffs of green smoke from a distance. One of our floral department favorites for texture.
- Light - part shade to shade
- Watering - even moisture
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As well as the bloom state.
Light: Asparagus ferns are not true ferns, but related to the Liliaceae family. Asparagus “ferns” thrive in indirect, ambient light. Too much hot, direct sun, such as a southern exposure can cause the delicate leaves to dry up and fall off. Too little sun can cause the leaves to turn yellow and fall off.
Water: Because Asparagus ferns are not true ferns, they do like to dry out slightly between waterings. If the soil dries out completely, most or all of the leaves will turn brown and fall off. On the other hand, keeping the soil saturated at all times can cause the roots to disintegrate leading to a similar leaf shedding.
Environment: A humid environment is preferred. Misting often or keeping a humidifier in the room is beneficial especially in the winter when the air is driest. Keep away from cold or hot drafts.
Toxicity: Parts of the plant are reported to be non-toxic, however if they product berries, these parts of the plant are considered somewhat toxic.
- Be cautious of sharp thorns along their stems which are used to latch onto and help climb trees in their natural habitat.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.