Otherwise known as the "Cast Iron" plant, the Aspidistra is dependable and also lovely. Long-bladed leaves coming directly from the dirt gives this plant an easygoing vibe.
- Light - part shade to shade
- Watering - dry to the touch
- Soil - potting mix
Species and variety can vary. If you do have a preference in species and variety, we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online, we will select one for you and cannot guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary as well as the bloom state.
Aspidistra - “Cast Iron Plant”
Light: Aspidistra enjoy a range of medium ambient to bright ambient light. Only give it filtered light and avoid direct sun. Placement by a north-facing window or in the middle of a bright room would work well.
Water: During the growing season this plant takes a good amount of water, but should still be allowed to dry out. At least the top half of the soil should be dry before giving it another thorough watering. During the winter months be sure not to overwater; still allow the soil to dry halfway and water just enough so that the soil is slightly moist throughout the pot.
Environment: This is an undemanding and hardy plant. It does not require much humidity, it thrives in typical household temperatures, and only needs to be fed occasionally throughout the growing season. The aspidistra will grow quite slowly and therefore does not like frequent root disturbance, so try to avoid repotting more than necessary.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic to dogs and cats, but is not edible.
- The cast iron plant’s leaves will grow dusty indoors. Wipe them with a damp cloth every few weeks to keep them looking great and getting the light that they need.
- Native to Taiwan and southern Japanese islands
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.