Asplenium nidus 'Champion' 6"
This Bird's Nest Fern, also called 'Campio', has bright green wavy upright leaves that consistently grow from the central part of the fern. A particular visual texture mimicking constant movement the Champion deserves its name.
- Light - part shade to shade
- Watering - even moisture
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Asplenium nidus - “Bird’s Nest Fern”
Light: Like all ferns, asplenium will crisp up in too much direct sunlight. Avoid southern / western direct exposure. Unlike most ferns, this species does require bright light. Often a dim, ambient, shade-like environment typical for most ferns will not be sufficient for this species. These must be in a brightly lit area, a feet away from direct light exposure, or directly in a northern/eastern window.
Water: All ferns require constantly moist soil, though it’s unnecessary to keep them overly saturated. Aim for moist, not muddy. Once the top half inch is dry, you should water it. Since ferns are a more “primitive” type of plant, they also absorb significant moisture through their leaves, and to avoid them drying out in the home, it’s beneficial to mist them daily. Asplenium in many situations can tolerate briefly drier soil.
Environment: All ferns prefer high humidity. To avoid crisping / browning of the fronds (primitive leaves) mist regularly and avoid close proximity to air vents / drafty windows. They prefer warmer home environments, but this typically coincides with dryness. Place by a window in the humid summer months, but avoid this during cooler months.
Toxicity: True ferns are reported to be non-toxic.
- Most varieties of true ferns were alive with the dinosaurs! Ferns tend to thrive in closed terrariums, as this ensures an ideal humidity level.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.