Calathea orbifolia 6"
The rounded leaves of the orbifolia are graceful and rotund for a Calathea. Together with the green to silver linear variegation it is a striking addition to any plant family.
- Light - part shade
- Watering - slight dry to the touch
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Similar care for Stromanthe and Ctenanthe
Calathea and some similar-growing plants (Stromanthe and Ctenanthe) are wonderfully lush and often colorful houseplants. Look out for their leaves which shift during day and night. New leaves will emerge somewhat fluted and unfurl to show their final form.
Light: Calatheas prefer bright but not direct sunlight. Too much sun can cause the thin leaves to burn. A north-facing windowsill can be ideal, but these plants also do well slightly set back from a sunnier window.
Water: This plant demands to be moist at all times, but not "wet" or sitting in water. This means regularly giving it small amounts of water as soon as the surface starts to dry up. The soil should usually feel like a wrung-out sponge. During winter, the plant will usually require less frequent watering as the weather becomes cooler and darker but still be mindful to avoid any kind of drought.
Environment: Calatheas prefer a humid environment and leaves may brown around the edges if the air is too dry. Indoors, place them near a humidifier, group them with other humidity-loving plants, and/or set them on a pebble tray filled with water.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic to cats and dogs but is not considered edible.
Of Note:If possible, water your calathea with distilled water or rain water, or allow your tap water to sit out overnight before using it. Leaf tips may burn as they can be sensitive to water quality.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.