Caryota mitis "Fishtail Palm" 10"
The Caryota Mitis palm is a fun palm to have in your collection due to its fishtail like leaflets. Shaggy and a little crazy but somehow stately at the same time.
- Light - part sun
- Watering - dry to the touch
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will the bloom state.
Caryota mitis - “Fishtail Palm”
Caryota or “Fishtail '' palms are fantastic plants whose tall arching stems are covered in slightly tattered leaflets that resemble a fish’s tail. Leaves will show a little wear over time, which is part of their nature.
Light: The Caryota mitis needs bright, indirect light to survive, usually near an east or west facing window or directly in an expansive north facing window. A part day of softer sun rays is also a perfect position for this plant.
Water: Water thoroughly and freely as long as the water has a place to drain; these palms prefer even moisture and well draining soil. You will likely need to water less frequently in the winter. If possible, water with distilled water or rain water, or allow your tap water to sit out overnight before using it as the leaves can sometimes be sensitive to water quality..
Environment: Caryota mitis thrives best in a warm and humid environment. Peat- or coir-based potting material is best, and adding extra material like bark or perlite to the mix can provide more drainage capability and will help the plant to thrive. A standard potting soil is always suitable provided it has adequate porosity.
Toxicity: While palms are typically non-toxic, the fishtail and other Caryota palms do container compounds in the leaves that are very unpleasant if ingested or chewed and therefore may be considered somewhat toxic.
- Do not prune palm trees unless a leaf dies. Then prune off at the stem.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.