Chela Planted Terrarium Medium
A miniature ecosystem of your own. Terrariums are a wonderful way to spotlight a collection of plants that are housed together as one landscape.
The Chela planted terrarium is planted with foliage that does well in part shade to shade. Likes the high humidity. Like taking a stroll through the forest.
Images are used for inspiration only. As plant availability changes daily, the plants we use will vary. While we do our best to accommodate any special requests, we cannot guarantee exact availability. Each terrarium is a custom design.
- Terrarium Size: Approx. 10.25" H x 7.50" D
Tropical, Mossy or "Woodsy" Terrariums
Light Needs: Bright to Medium Indirect Light
-Northern or Eastern exposure/Set back from Western or Southern exposure.
- We recommend using the directional stream of a spray bottle to water terrariums. This way, you are able to better control the amount of water that goes in, eliminating worries of over-watering. The amount of water is relative to the size of the terrarium.
- Pay attention to the soil. It will lighten slightly when moisture has left it. However, the best way to tell if your terrarium needs water is to actually feel the soil with your fingers. If you feel moisture, let the plants be. If the soil is dry, you may add a little bit of water at the base of each thirsty plant.
- Generally speaking, newer terrariums will probably need a small amount of water added once per week. Once the roots have established themselves, water might need to be added closer to every ten days or so. Make sure you do a soil test first!
- Despite being planted together, some plants may need water when others do not. This means that each plant should be treated individually within the terrarium if they are to be grown together. Some plants (such as pilea and peperomia varieties) have slightly succulent leaves and will prefer a drying time between watering. Plants such as ferns and moss will prefer to stay moist.
- Humidity is key for tropical terrariums. If your terrarium seems to be lacking humidity, place a clear plate or similar item over the opening for a day or two in order to contain some humidity within the vessel.
- Covered terrariums should be left open for at least one full day per week for air circulation. Just like us, plants need to breathe. If you notice condensation building up on the glass, remove the cover and air it out. Otherwise leaves may begin to rot.
- Yellow leaves indicate over-watering
- Brown, crispy leaves indicate under-watering
- Brown tips on leaves indicate a lack of humidityPrintable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.