Codiaeum variegatum "Garden Croton" 14" standard
Also called "Fire Croton" this plant is quite a showy one indeed. A shrub with thick leathery leaves that can have some of the brightest colors around from green, yellow, red, maroon to orange depending on the variety. The Garden Croton can not be missed.
- Light - full sun to part sun
- Watering - dry to the touch
- Soil - potting mix
Varieties and colorations will vary. If you do have a preference in type of Garden Croton we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact variety or coloration.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will the bloom state.
Codiaeum - “Croton”
Light: Crotons prefer very bright light or some direct sun. Brighter light induces more variegation and bright colors on the leaves.
Water: Crotons prefer evenly moist soil; water when the top becomes dry to the touch. If the soil becomes too dry the plant will begin to wilt, but at the same time it’s important to avoid overwatering. Keep soil moist, but not soggy and allow soil to dry down about an inch below the surface before watering.
Environment: A warm environment with mild humidity is important for a croton plant. Cool temperatures below 50 degrees will cause the plant to drop leaves. Indoors, mist frequently, add a humidifier to the room, or set them on a pebble tray filled with water. Do not place it near an AC vent or a heat source.
Toxicity: Reported to be poisonous to animals and humans. Contact with sap can cause skin irritation.
- Fertilize every few weeks in the spring and summer with a water soluble fertilizer.
- Crotons will drop leaves readily in times of transition such as moving to a new environment. Once you get your Croton home, choose its ideal location and do not move it around. It is normal to see rapid leaf loss in the beginning, but if conditions are appropriate, the croton will stabilize and begin to grow again.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.