Ficus umbellata 8"
Ficus umbellata is a ficus with large heart shaped leaves and thin stems. Heavy indentations with the veins. Pretty cool.
- Light - full to part sun
- Watering - dry down 5% to 10%
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Ficus - General
incl. benjamina, moclame, starlight, audrey
Light: All Ficus varieties like bright light, though too much hot/direct sun rays may cause the leaves to burn. Often East or West are perfect. Some of the variegated varieties can take moderate to medium indirect light. Ficus benghalensis will require higher volumes of sunlight than other Ficus (South or West).
Water: Ficus like to be watered evenly and thoroughly, meaning you will want to water the soil until you see some water drain from the drainage hole. Give your plant some time to dry down, but check weekly. When feeling for moisture, check for moisture by pressing your finger into the soil a few inches below the surface. If it is damp, do not water. Ficus plants do not like sitting in soggy soil, so make sure the soil mix and container combination you are using drains very well.
Environment: Ficus trees cannot tolerate low temperatures or cold drafts. They like to be kept at temperatures above 60-70 degrees. It's also important to maintain relatively high humidity around the plant. Regular misting, a nearby humidifier, or setting the Ficus on a pebble tray filled with water will help provide a humid environment. Avoid placing near heat sources or drafty areas. Redirect vents if present.
Toxicity: This plant is reported to be toxic to Cats and Dogs
Of Note:Ficus are sensitive to changes in their environment. They react to these changes by dropping leaves - the leaves. If you have just moved your Ficus to a new location, expect leaf drop. New growth will fill out from the top when the plant adjusts. If it has not been moved, it may be reacting to a change in lighting conditions as the seasons change, or an increase or decrease in its watering frequency. Try to keep its environment as stable as possible to prevent shock and leaf drop.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.