Gardenia Plants are known for their glossy green leaves adorned with clusters of aromatic sweet and spicy, white flowers. Gardenia are happiest when placed in the correct environment. Once a suitable home is found, they prefer not to move. With proper care, Gardenia can be a wonderful addition to the home.
- Light - Part sun
- Humidity- Moderate
- Soil - Well draining potting mix.
- Fertilization - Spring and Summer with a fertilizer for acid loving plants
- Watering - even moisture
Species can vary. If you do have a preference in coloration or species we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size, shape and bloom state of each plant will vary.
Gardenia is a genus of flowering plants in the Rubiaceae family. Known for its incredibly fragrant creamy blooms and attractive shiny green foliage.
Light: Partial sun. Middle of the day, keep in bright filtered light while giving it direct sun toward the less intense hours of the day.
Water: Even moisture; make sure soil is very well draining
Environment: Native to tropical and subtropical regions; needs humidity
Toxicity: Reported to be toxic to cats and dogs according to the ASPCA
Habit / SIze: Tree form or shrub habit depending on variety
- Gardenia jasminoides (syn. G. grandiflora, G. Florida) is the Gardenia mostly cultivated as a houseplant. They grow to about 18” indoors.
- Gardenia is an acid-loving plant. Fertilize with acidic plant food.
- The flower will brown if touched by water.
Printable Care Sheet
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, estimate 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting to safeguard from overwatering (albeit you can still overpour).
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.