Gibasis geniculata "Tahitian Bridal Veil" 4"
Gibasis geniculate is a light, airy and elegant plant in the same family as Tradescantia. Foliage is dark green on top with a purple underside. Dainty white flowers dance on top of mounding, trailing stems. A charming plant that works well for hanging planters, this plant can be pruned freely to maintain size and shape.
- Bloom color- small white flowers.
- Light - Bright, indirect light-part shade
- Soil - Well draining potting mix
- Watering -Keep soil evenly moist
- Fertilizer- apply a liquid all purpose fertilizer monthly through Spring and Summer
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will blooms state.
Gibasis geniculata - “Tahitian Bridal Veil”
Light: The Tahitian bridal veil loves bright, ambient light. The brighter the light, the deeper the leaf color. It does not like direct sunlight, however, and can easily burn in afternoon rays.
Water: Bridal veils are susceptible to root rot, so be careful not to overwater and look out for signs of moisture imbalance (yellow leaves usually indicate overwatering, while brown and crispy leaves indicate underwatering). While they should not be kept wet, they also cannot go completely dry. Allow the top inch or so of soil to dry between watering evenly, and allow the soil to dry out slightly more during the winter months. Misting, in addition to watering, is always welcome.
Environment: Native to the Jamaican mountains, the Tahitian bridal veil thrives and trails in humidity. They should be planted in a well-draining soil mix and a well-draining pot to avoid root rot. Make sure to keep away from cold drafts, AC units, and heat sources.
Toxicity: Reported to be toxic to cats and dogs
- The Tahitian bridal veil has been sold under a variety of genus and species names and is often listed as Tradescantia multiflora or Tripogandra multiflora.
Pruning is an important part of bridal veil care. It keeps the plant from growing leggy and decreases the dead foliage that attracts pests like aphids and spider mites.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting.
Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.