Heliconia dwarf 10"
Heliconia have foliage that resembles a banana plant. The flower is very distinct and can either be erect or pendent depending on the species. The inflorescence bracts that hold the flowers are usually bright red, yellow or both, but they are sometimes green, orange, purple or pink, and may be smooth or fuzzy.
- Light - Full sun
- Watering - dry to the touch between watering
- Soil - potting mix
Species can vary. If you do have a preference in species or coloration we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Light: Heliconia can thrive in bright, indirect light, but would prefer some direct sun. Western and southern exposures benefit this plant. For example they will do fine under a substantial skylight with only indirect light or in a room that is consistently very bright throughout the day.
Water: Heliconia prefers consistently moist soil provided that it is well draining. Water once the top quarter of the soil is feeling dry. Water thoroughly until water drains out of the bottom of the pot. They require less frequent water in winter as they are “resting” and the plant is not using as much water.
Environment: Heliconia prefers warm, humid conditions. Be sure not to keep it near AC units or heaters, which can damage the plant. Mist often or use a humidity tray to keep the leaves soft and supple (though splitting is natural).
Toxicity: This plant is reported to be toxic if ingested.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.