Howea fosteriana "Kentia Palm" 10"
Howea forsteriana, commonly known as the "Kentia Palm" and the "Thatch Palm" is a palm in the family Arecaceae. Slow grower but could get tall with its large green palm shaped leaves reaching to approximately 10' tall at maturity. Majestic and tolerant.
- Light - part sun to part shade
- Watering - dry down 5 - 10%
- Soil - potting mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will the bloom state.
Howea forsteriana - “Thatch” or “Kentia” Palm
Kentia (Howea forsteriana) can be a somewhat slow-growing palm but are valued as houseplants not just for their elegance but also their ease of adaptability.
Light: Keep the palm out of direct sunlight, in an area with ambient natural light. It will grow best in bright light, but will survive in lower ambient light - these suggestions illustrate intense indirect light and consistent diffused light.
Water: While not drought tolerant, the Kentia palm should not be kept always wet. Allow the soil to dry by around 25-30% of the soil’s volume before watering thoroughly again. Avoid any standing or allow air flow for any excess to evaporate.
Environment: Keep the palm away from hot or cold drafts. These can be planted in an all purpose potting mix and adding extra material like bark or perlite to the mix can provide more drainage capability and will help the plant to thrive. Avoid vents from heating or cooling, but overall these plants are adaptable to average home humidity levels.
Toxicity: Reported to be safe for cats and dogs.
Prone to the pest spider mites. Check regularly for signs of tiny webbing on the foliage. If a pest issue is found, treat it with insecticidal soap.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.