Hypoestes phyllostachya "Pink" 4"
Hypoestes phyllostachya, commonly referred to as the "Polka Dot Plant", is a flowering plant in the Acanthaceae family. Known for their brightly colored spotted leaves of various colors depending on species and variety. Spots can merge and change over time. There are numerous cultivars of this plant that have pink colorations such as 'Pink Dot', 'Pink Splash', the list goes on. Fun plant to have around to give an extra smile and perk up your day.
- Light - part sun to part shade
- Watering - even moisture to slight dry to the touch
- Soil - potting mix
Cultivars can vary. If you do have a preference in variety or coloration we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As well as bloom state.
Hypoestes - “Polka Dot Plant”
Light: Your Polka Dot plant will need bright, indirect light. But be sure to protect it against direct sunlight as it will scorch the leaves. Low light will cause the bright colors to fade and the leaves will turn mostly green and spaced further apart on the stem. Hypoestes plants can be red, pink or white.
Water: Keep the soil moist, but do not leave sitting in water. Dry soil will cause the leaves to wilt and fall off. Leaves may begin to wilt when the soil is dry, but usually perk up after a thorough watering. Allow the surface of the soil to dry out before watering again. Too much water can cause the leaves to turn yellow and roots to rot.
Environment: This plant likes warm temperatures and high humidity. So use a pebble tray with water in it or mist the plant regularly. A humidifier will also work and grouping plants together helps to maintain the humidity surrounding them.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic
- This bushy plant grows quickly with bright light and can become quite leggy. Pinch back and prune the growing tips often in order to encourage branching to keep the plant looking full and compact.
Insignificant purple flowers may appear, but it's suggested to pinch them off because they can cause the plant to deteriorate after blooming.
- *When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.