Tillandsia ianotha Medium Cluster
Tillandsia, commonly known as "Airplants" is a genus of plant in the Bromeliaceae family that have the ability to cling on to most anything. Tillandsia ianotha is a smaller clustering airplant that blushes pink and blooms purple. Instead of pulling water from their roots their leaves have specialized cells that absorb water. After flowering the plant forms pups and then dies. To mimic the natural rain fall watering can oscillate between spritzing and soaking depending on time of year and humidity conditions.
- Humidity - high
- Light - part shade to shade
- Soil - none
- Watering - let dry between waterings / spritzing
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state and leaf color.
Light: Tillandsia do best in bright, indirect, or filtered light. Many species’ leaves turn bright red when grown in strong light. Avoid intense afternoon direct sun as it can scorch the leaves.
Water: Air plants love humidity and good air ventilation (do not cover them). Using distilled water or tap water that has sat out for 24-48 hours when misting and watering can be beneficial as the minerals in tap water can harm the plant. The amount of water needed depends directly on the light and humidity levels. Under dry, indoor conditions try to mist the plants daily and soak weekly. The amount of time needed to soak depends on the plant size, but can range from 15 to 30 minutes. Plump, firm leaves are happy leaves. Shriveled, stiff, and crispy leaves need more moisture. Allow the plant to dry upside down after soaking to avoid water sitting in between the leaves which can cause rotting.
Environment: Air plants are epiphytes, naturally growing on other plants, trees, and rocks by holding on with their roots. All of their moisture and nutrition is absorbed through their leaves rather than their roots.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic.
- Tillandsia should be fertilized regularly with a plant food mixed into their water. This provides the nutrients they would normally get in the wild. Add diluted plant food to your watering routine at least monthly but not more frequently than once a week. Too much fertilizer will damage the leaves.
- Tillandsia often flower, but the flower does not last forever. Once dead it can be pruned. They may reflower soon after or flower after a long dormancy period.
- Air plants will form “pups” at the base of the mother plant, which can be removed and cared for separately once they reach one-third of the size of the mother plant.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.