Manihot esculenta 'Variegata' 4"
Manihot esculenta, commonly called cassava, tapoioca or yuca (among numerous regional names) is a woody shrub native to South America and of the Euphorbiacaea family. It features palmately lobed, medium green leaves which may be solid green or variegated. This unusual tropical is a unique texture when used seasonally outdoors or indoors as a houseplant.
- Light - full sun to part shade
- Watering - water evenly and allow soil to dry slightly between waterings
- Soil - well drained all purpose potting mix
- Toxicity - plant is toxic to pets/people
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Manihot - “Tapioca”
Light: Manihot love direct sunlight and would do best with at least a few hours of direct sunshine every day. A southern or western window would be ideal. They should be shaded from extremely hot sun exposure.
Water: Tapioca will appreciate a thorough watering and then some time to allow the top 20% or so of the soil to dry. In sunniest locations, maintain more even moisture. Always avoid any standing water at the roots.
Environment: Manihot are charming tropical plants that need warm, humid conditions and some direct sunlight to thrive. Avoid cold drafts, AC units, and active radiators that reduce humidity levels. To encourage flowering, give weekly fertilizer feedings March–October. Never fertilize when the plant is dry to avoid damaging the roots.
Toxicity: This plant is reported to be toxic without proper preparation. Ingestion should, in general, be avoided.
- Pruning during the summer is great for the plant, encouraging new budding and shoots as well as establishing a few dominant branches for aesthetic impact.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.