Medinilla scortechinii 6"
Medinilla is a genus of about 400 species of flowering plants in the family Melastomatacaea. This epiphytic plant has glossy dark green leaves and produces panicles of orange flowers.
- Light - In the home, place in an east or near a shaded west window
- Watering -Water well, but allow soil to dry down about 2" between waterings
- Soil - A well drained all purpose potting soil
- Humidity- The ideal range is 50% or higher, but will tolerate less
- Fertilize- Use a diluted all purpose fertilizer once a week to every other week during the growing season.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will the bloom state.
Light: Medinilla are a tropical, epiphytic shrub. They grow similar to orchids, rooting in crevices of tree branches and similar locations.
Water: Medinilla can reasonably store water in their leaves. So saturate thoroughly, but allow the growing medium to become airy before a thorough soak is provided.
Environment: A growing medium similar to many orchids is ideal, and a general blend marked for orchids is typically fine for Medinilla as well. A small portion of standard potting soil can be mixed in to provide a little more water retention if needed. Maintain warm home temperatures (65 - 78ºF is great) and maintain humidity for the plant. This means drafts from doors, vents, etc., should be absolutely avoided.
Toxicity: This plant is reported to be non-toxic
- Prized for centuries, this houseplant take a little more careful attention, but will reward you with amazing blooms.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.