Mimosa pudica "Sensitive Plant" 6"
Mimosa pudica is a creeping annual or perennial flowering plant of the pea/legume family Fabaceae. Noted for the unique way in which the compound leaves fold inward and droop when touched or shaken, defending themselves from harm, and re-open a few minutes later. They have delicate, fern-like leaves and light purple flowers that resemble small pom-poms. Young plants grow upwards, but over time develop more of a creeping habit. They have a very fast growth rate.
- Light - bright light to some direct sun
- Watering -water when the surface of the soil feels dry
- Soil - well draining, loamy
- Toxicity - toxic to humans and pets
- Pruning - prune a sensitive plant regularly to keep it full, bushy, and prevent it from becoming leggy.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As well as bloom state.
Mimosa pudica - “Sensitive Plant”
Light: These delicate plants prefer bright, indirect light, ideally near a north or east facing window. Too much direct sun can burn these delicate leaves. When growing them indoors, the ideal location is directly in front of or beside a bright sunny window. If the leaflets remain closed during the day, it indicates that the plant is not receiving enough light.
Water: Soil should be kept evenly moist at all times. Check the soil often and water as soon as the soil surface no longer feels damp. A terra cotta pot set on a broad tray of pebbles with water below would be beneficial for a source of constant moisture and humidity.
Environment: A temperature of about 70°F (21°C) is ideal, and temperatures below 60°F (16°C) should be avoided.If possible, mist your sensitive plant daily. Additionally these make great terrarium plants. You’ll want to select a large piece of glass, as they can be fast, bushy growers.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic, but do have sharp stems.
- If your sensitive plant dries out and its leaves turn brown and crisp, there may still be hope. Cut the plant back, and keep the soil moist. Soon, new growth should begin to unfurl. Unfortunately, if this does not appear readily, the plant may have previously gone too dry to repair.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.