Mitriostigma axillare "African Gardenia" 4.5"
Mitriostigma axillare, or commonly referred to as "African Gardenia" is a genus of flowering plants in the family Rubiaceae. A cousin to the true Gardenia, this plant boasts similar characteristics as the Gardenia with less of the fuss. This plant has green glossy leaves, white star-shaped flowers, sweetly fragrant aroma and can bear bright orange fruit. This plant can grow 2' tall.
- Light - full sun to part sun
- Watering -thoroughly saturate and allow the soil to dry somewhat between waterings
- Soil - well draining all purpose soil
- Humidity - preferably above 50% and warm temperatures
- Pruning - prune to shape
Images are used for general reference only. The size, shape and bloom state of each plant will vary.
Mitriostigma is a genus of flowering plants in the Rubiaceae family. A cousin of the true Gardenia with less fuss. Just as lovely and fragrant. Fragrant star-shaped white blooms (sometimes tinged with pink) that cover the plant is a huge conversation starter.
Light: Full sun to part sun
Water: Thoroughly saturate and allow the soil to dry somewhat between waterings
Environment: Preferably above 50% humidity and warm temperatures
Toxicity: Not available
Habit / SIze: Can grow 1–2’ tall by 1’ wide
- The flower will brown if touched by water
- Can create orange-colored fruit loved by birds
- Can be propagated with stem cuttings
Printable Care Sheet
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, estimate 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting to safeguard from overwatering (albeit you can still overpour).
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.