Monstera deliciosa 12"
Monstera Deliciosa is a genus of 45 species of flowering plants in the arum family, Araceae. Featuring large glossy green leaves, either with or without fenestrations. Young leaves develop this characteristic over time. 'Split-leaf Philodendron' is not actually a philodendron but a woody epiphytic vine that climbs by aerial roots. This plant can get quite large and sturdy support is necessary to prevent the stems from breaking. Can be pruned to maintain size. Occasionally these plants may have a post or trellis anchored into the pot.
- Light - very bright light/partial sun
- Watering - water well and allow to dry down 2-3."
- Soil - potting mix
- Pruning - to manage growth
- Propagation - by cuttings.
- Toxicity - toxic to pets
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Monstera deliciosa, M. adansonii & other Monstera
(similar care is advisable for Rhaphidophora)
Light: Ample bright, or filtered light is preferred. A north- or east-facing window is ideal. Hot, direct sun, such as in a south or west window, can scorch and dry the leaves.
Water: Water thoroughly once the top 25% of soil has dried. Yellowing leaves are usually a sign of overwatering. When kept too dry, the leaves become droopy and slightly curled.
Environment: Native to the American tropics, these plants need warm interior temperatures of at least 65 degrees. Average to high humidity levels are ideal. It is considered somewhat invasive in climates with appropriate temperatures for outdoor growth.
Toxicity: Reported to be potentially toxic
- Monstera plants can grow to heights of 66 ft in trees by climbing with aerial roots. Aerial roots will also hook into the soil for additional support. While you can trim the brown aerial roots, it is not required.
- Monstera have a vining habit. Long stems can be staked for support. Provide a support totem to encourage climbing.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.