Myrmecodia is a genus of epiphytic myrmecophytes, in the family Rubiaceae. Myrmecophytes, or ant plants, live in a mutualistic association with a colony of ants. These plants possess structural adaptations that provide ants with food and/or shelter while the ants provide nutrients. In the home, these plants do not attract ants and can live without them.
- Light - sun to part shade
- Watering -allow the soil to dry between waterings, but don't let it stay dry for long periods of time
- Soil - succulent mix
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. Species available will vary, please contact the store directly if you are interested in a certain one.
Hydnophytum & Myrmecodia
Hydnophytum & Myrmecodia species are really interesting plants -- They grow, typically, not terrestrially and develop a swollen base which contains a complex of inner chambers. This provides a home for, and encourages a symbiotic relationship with insects in the wild (note: as a houseplant, it does not function this way…)
Light: Hydnophytum or “ant plants” require bright indirect light. An ideal spot for this plant would be near a sunny window without being directly in the windowsill.
Water: Water the plant when you feel the top portion of the medium is dry, about the top quarter is typical. Never allow the plant to sit in water for long periods of time or dry entirely.
Environment: Hydnophytum plants in the wild grow on supports such as tree trunks or branches. Plant in a loose, well draining soil mix designed for epiphytic plants; it is usually composed of coconut husk or shredded bark. These plants prefer lots of humidity, do not place in a dry environment or near a heat vent. Misting regularly is beneficial.
Toxicity: Reported to be toxic if ingested.
When the bark medium is dry to the touch, submerge the container in water until air bubbles are gone or run under the sink/shower until all of the medium is saturated. This is to ensure that water has penetrated to the core of the root system/potting medium and may be a helpful tactic for effective watering for this and similar types of plants.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.