Myrtle, any of the evergreen shrubs in the genus Myrtus, belonging to the family Myrtaceae. The plant's dark green leaves are small and leathery. The cinnamon-colored bark peels and becomes furrowed with age, as the trunk thickens slowly. While it naturally has a bushy habit, the common myrtle can be trained as a low-mounding spreading shrub, an upright small tall tree, or a tiny bonsai. Best used as an indoor/outdoor plant seasonally.
- Light - plenty of bright, direct sunlight
- Watering - water well and allow to dry down somewhat between waterings
- Soil - well drained all purpose soil
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Myrtaceae - “Myrtle”
Light: Myrtle can live indoors in high light, such as a southern window, but appreciates being kept outdoors during the spring and summer. An east or west exposure is second best with at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight.
Water: Water once the top two inches of soil is dry. Never allow myrtle to become completely dry. Good water drainage is also a must, as root rot may develop easily.
Environment: During the cold months, it’s recommended to place myrtle in a shallow tray filled with a layer of gravel with water added. This provides extra moisture and humidity around the tree as the water evaporates and reduces the amount of moisture lost to modern heating systems in the winter. Do not place it near an active radiator or source of blowing air. They prefer warm temperatures day and night.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic
- Myrtle can be a type of topiary. Topiary is the practice of clipping shrubs or trees into ornamental shapes.
- It is best to prune and shape your myrtle during its high growing season in spring and summer. This will make it easier to keep sufficiently watered as well as keeping the growth looking full and the shape well formed.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.