Nepenthes sp. "Pitcher Plant" 6"
Nepenthes are tropical vines with an appetite: They trap and digest insects. Leaves will produce deep "pitchers" with slippery sides where insects will tumble into the digestive juices within *insert evil laugh*
- Light - full sun
- Watering - even moisture (distilled water)
- Soil - 50%peat moss to 50% perlite
Color can vary as well as variety. If you do have a preference in coloration and variety we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As well as the. bloom state.
Incl. Dionaea muscipula “Venus Flytrap” & Nepenthes “Pitcher Plant”
Light: These plants prefer at least 6hrs. of sun, ideally in a southern / western exposure.
Water: Because they are native to very wet bogs and swamps, it is best to keep them in a pot with drainage, sitting on a tray of distilled water. They need to be kept constantly moist, and don’t tolerate the salts / chemicals in tap water very well. You can use distilled water or leave a container of tap water out for 24-48 hours so that enough chemicals will have evaporated to water with.
Environment: They need 50% or more ambient humidity. Because of this, they thrive in terrariums and closed containers. Ensure it is potted in peat / sphagnum moss or a special carnivorous plant mix. Do not fertilize.
Toxicity: Reported to be mildly toxic to cats / dogs if ingested.
- Resist the urge to trigger the traps with your finger because the action of the trap requires so much energy, they die after 3-5 triggers. If you trigger all your traps, your plant could die.
- Carnivory in plants is an adaptation to low nutrient bogs.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.