Platycerium bifurcatum 8"
Platycerium bifucatum, the "Common Staghorn Fern", or "Elkhorn Fern", is a bracket epiphyte known for their fronds that are shaped like aforementioned common names. It has two types of fronds, the basal and the fertile fronds. The basal fronds look like a helmet at the base of the plant to protect its roots and the blue green fuzzy fertile fronds are the "antler" part.
- Light - part sun to part shade
- Soil - potting mix or sphagnum
- Watering - dry down 5% - dry to the touch
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Platycerium - “Staghorn Fern”
Light: Staghorns ferns prefer bright, filtered light. They can handle more sunlight given enough water, warmth, and humidity.
Water: Water frequently to keep even moisture at all times. If mounted, you will want to dampen the growing medium by running water over the board and growing medium. Potted ferns can be watered once the top inch or so of soil is dry, but be sure it drains well as these epiphytic plants do not enjoy sitting in standing water. If the tips of the foliar fronds begin to brown, your fern might be underwatered and you should increase the frequency or volume of your watering. If the bases of the foliar fronds begin to blacken, this is a sign of overwatering and a sign to cut back the frequency.
Environment: Staghorns thrive in warm, humid conditions. Fertilize during the growing season with a heavily diluted all-purpose, water-soluble fertilizer every 2-4 weeks.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic to dogs and cats.
- Young plants are frequently grown in pots. However, these plants are natural epiphytes and, when mature, should be mounted to a plaque or piece of bark.
- Platycerium have two distinct types of fronds: basal and foliar. The basal fronds cover the root ball and collect moisture and nutrients from decaying leaves in their natural environment. It is normal for basal fronds to brown with age. The foliar fronds reproduce via spores found in patches on the backs of mature fronds. Foliar fronds have a velvety covering that absorbs water and protects from intense sun. Take care to not wipe this velvety surface away.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.