Saintpaulia ionantha "African Violet", Specialty 4"
Saintpaulia ionanatha, commonly called "African Violet", have cute rounded to oval fleshy leaves that have a hairy texture. Blooms pop up above the leaves in clusters and can range in color.
- Humidity - high
- Light - part shade to shade
- Soil - potting mix
- Watering - even moisture
Flower and leaf will vary. If you do have a preference we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size, flower color and shape of each plant will vary. As well as the bloom state.
Light: African violets love bright, indirect light. While they can survive on moderate ambient light, they will only bloom regularly with bright light. They can tolerate a couple hours of direct morning light, but be careful not to scorch the leaves with too much direct rays. A northern or eastern window is a good home for an African violet.
Water: Allow the soil to mostly dry out between waterings. African violets do not like to get water on their leaves. It helps to water from the bottom with room temperature water by placing the violet (potted in a pot with a drainage hole) in a bowl with water and allowing the plant to absorb the water from the base. Be sure not to leave the plant sitting in water for more than 30 minutes to avoid wet feet and root rot.
Environment:African violets will thrive in bright, warm, humid conditions. They prefer temperatures between 60-70 degrees F. For better blooming, fertilize with African violet fertilizer every other week during the growing season. African violets are highly susceptible to temperature change. Keep them away from radiators, AC units, and drafts to keep them in consistent, warm air.
Toxicity: Reported to be toxic, potentially dangerous. Keep pets from consuming.
- Pinch off past flowers and their stems to encourage new bloom growth.
- Avoid water sitting on the leaves. Although they do enjoy humidity, they can't handle more than a fine mist on the leaves.
Printable Care Sheet
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority to the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are delivery or pick up items
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.