Schlumbergera commonly known as "Christmas Cactus", is an interesting cactus with a prolific bloom that shows up normally during November and December. You might see the common name part of 'cactus' and follow suit on care but that is not the case. They are actually native to humid rainforests so a different care is needed than the traditional cactus. Pad like leaves that join together and bright blooms make the Schlumbergera a great specimen plant.
- Light - part sun
- Watering - dry to the touch during spring and dry down 5% otherwise
- Soil - succulent mix
Species and flower color can vary. If you do have a preference in species we ask that you come visit us at the store to hand select the one of your liking. When placing the order online we will select one for you and can not guarantee an exact coloration or variety.
Images are used for general reference only. The size, flower color, bloom state and shape of each plant will vary.
Schlumbergera sp. “Holiday Cactus”
Light: During the late fall and all winter long, Schlumbergera like full, direct sunlight. Any other time of the year, the plants should be grown in partial sun conditions. Too much light during non-flowering times will cause the plant to turn yellow and fail to produce buds in the coming year.
Water: Although considered a cactus, this is a tropical plant. The soil should be kept a bit more moist, just allowing the top third to half of the soil to dry between waterings. Soil should be loose and airy. Using a mix that is at least partially arid succulent soil is ideal. Never allow the soil to become water-logged, or allow water to stand in the saucer.
Environment: Christmas cactus appreciate higher humidity, but will tolerate dry air. Temperature should be kept between 60-70 degrees fahrenheit. This holiday cactus will drop its flower buds when it's stressed from dry soil, low light, blasts of cold air from doorways or repotting while it's in bloom. Once buds set, don't move your plant around. Changes in light and temperature (besides nightly fluctuations) may cause blooms to fall off.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic for cats and dogs
- Christmas cactus require a resting period to bloom again, from Feb-March. During this time keep temperatures at approximately 55°F and water less. Pre-flowering period from Oct-Nov requires the soil to be kept fairly dry until flowers bud, and then resume normal watering and temperatures.
- A high dose of magnesium in the soil is helpful for proper growth, which is achieved through a mixture of 1 teaspoon epsom salts to 1 gallon of water. Apply on a monthly basis from early spring through early fall, and should be given two weeks after a regular fertilizer treatment for best results.
Repotting Christmas cactus is usually only necessary every 2 to 3 years. Christmas cactus prefers to be slightly pot-bound and blooms best this way. Wait till spring or early summer to repot -- never while it's budding and blooming, which can cause them to drop.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.