Selaginella kraussiana "Frosty Fern" 6"
Selaginella kraussiana, or "Frosty Fern", is a ground cover with a great variegation. Deep green leaves with white tips, as if they are covered in snow. Great for a ground cover in a terrarium.
- Light - part shade to shade
- Soil - potting mix
- Watering - even moisture
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Light: Selaginella is native to a damp, tropical forest environment, so conditions that replicate this environment will help it thrive. Selaginella prefer bright, indirect light when placed indoors. Too much direct sun will quickly damage selaginella.
Water: Selaginella requires that its soil is kept damp constantly, but with no standing water. It will not survive drought. Selaginella do particularly well in enclosed terrariums where the humidity is elevated.
Environment: These plants love warm, humid environments. A terrarium is ideal, but if kept in a pot, try grouping it with other plants, misting regularly or place it on a pebble tray to increase moisture in the air. The best temperature for a Selaginella is 50-75 F degrees. Protect your selaginella from cold drafts, radiators and AC units.
Toxicity: Reported to be non-toxic
- Use a soil that retains water but still drains well.
- Selaginella is a small tropical plant that sometimes creeps, climbs, and trails.
- Pinch back the tips of the stems if they grow too tall or leggy. Pruning stimulates new growth and helps the plant become bushier and aesthetically pleasing. Remove dead or damaged stems as soon as they appear.
- Selaginella needs very little plant food. Feed a selaginella only twice a year (once in April and once in July) with a water soluble fertilizer diluted to half the recommended strength. Do not fertilize newly potted selaginella for at least two months.
When overwatered (especially in terrariums), white mold can easily form and indicates you may need to cut back on watering slightly
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.