Selaginella lepidophylla "Resurrection Plant"
- Light - part shade
- Soil - none
- Watering - even moisture
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary.
Light: Because it grows natively in the desert, Selaginella lepidophylla prefers bright light indoors. Use artificial lighting from winter to spring if necessary, as the plant grows actively during this time if not dormant.
Water: Resurrection plants rarely need supplemental watering, as they use moisture efficiently and over-watering or denying a dormant period can cause serious stress. During the winter and spring, pour warm water over the plant any time it begins to turn brown or shrivel. Allow the plant to dry completely and enter a state of dormancy during the summer and fall.
Environment: If potted, resurrection plants require a well-drained, general-purpose potting soil. Alternatively, a shallow container filled with gravel also provides the plant with the necessary support. Do not allow them to sit in water for more than a few hours at a time. Generally, resurrection plants are happy in average room temperatures. However, avoid placing resurrection plants in locations next to drafty vents or windows.
Toxicity: Unknown, likely non-toxic like most other Selaginella
- Native to the Chihuahuan desert near the U.S./Mexico border.
- Also known as spreading club moss and belongs to a group of primitive plants known as lycopods.
- Without water in its tissues, its sensitive photosynthetic machinery would easily become damaged by punishing UV rays. By curling up, the plant essentially shelters these tissues from the sun.
- Drought tolerance is one of the unique features of resurrection plants. They can survive for up to seven years without water in dormancy and lose up to 95% of their moisture content without cell or tissue damage.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.