Tradescantia fluminensis 8"
Tradescantia fluminensis also goes by Tradescantia albiflora and is commonly known as the "Inch Plant" or "Small Leaf Spiderwort." Deep green oval leaves and fleshy stems that trail and creep. White three-petaled flowers will appear as well if in the right conditions. Makes for a great hanging basket.
- Light - part sun to part shade
- Soil - potting mix
- Watering - dry to the touch
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary as will bloom state.
Light: Tradescantia love bright, indirect light. The brighter the light, the deeper the colors. It can tolerate some cool direct sun, such as that from an east-facing exposure, but may burn in afternoon rays.
Water: Tradescantia are susceptible to root rot, so be careful not to overwater. Look out for signs of moisture imbalance (yellow usually indicates overwatering, while brown and crispy usually indicates underwatering). Allow the top inch or so of soil to dry before giving the plant an even, thorough watering. Allow to dry slightly more during the winter months. Try to water the soil and not directly on the crown of the plant.
Environment: Native to eastern Mexico and the Americas, the tradescantia is an invasive plant that now grows around the world. Tradescantia grows leggy with age. When they get leggy, however, you can take cuttings and propagate the plant to restore a bushy appearance.
Toxicity: Reported to be mildly toxic. Avoid ingestion as it can cause irritation or illness in pets.
- Pruning is an important part of tradescantia care. It helps the plant from growing stretched out and decreases the dead foliage that attracts pests like aphids and spider mites.
- Propagating Tradescantia is relatively simple. They can regrow from cuttings in water, cuttings planted directly in soil, or cuttings laid on the soil top.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting. Printable Care Sheet
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.