Zamioculcas zamiifolia 12"
Zamioculcas zamiifolia is a member of the Araceae family and is known by the common names of "ZZ Plant" and "Zanzibar Gem". Naturally glossy pinnate green leaves on upright thick stems. Will grow to an approximate height of 2 feet at maturity. The Zamioculcas plant is quite drought tolerant due to the potato like rhizome roots which store water. The ZZ is EZ.
- Light - part sun to shade
- Soil - potting mix & succulent mix blend
- Watering - dry down 40%
Images are used for general reference only. The size and shape of each plant will vary. As will bloom state.
Light: The ZZ plant can tolerate a range of low to high light. Keep it out of direct, afternoon sun as the rays may scorch the leaves. While this plant can survive in relatively low light, it will grow most robustly in medium to bright ambient light.
Water: The ZZ plant is drought-tolerant and stores water in its leaves and rhizomes. Overwatering will cause rot and yellowing leaves. Depending on the amount of light and the size of the plant, you may only need to water every 3-4 weeks. In higher light, water closer to once every 2 weeks as long as the soil feels dry before adding water.
Environment: Native to east Africa, the ZZ is a tropical perennial plant, growing in the Zanzibar range from Kenya and Tanzania south through Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and South Africa. This area often has pronounced wet and dry seasons, which helps to understand how the ZZ plant can take a lot of water (given enough light) but still be prone to root rot.
Toxicity: Reported to be potentially toxic for pets if ingested.
- ZZ plants are a ‘monotypic’ genus, meaning it is the only species in the genus.
- The easiest way to propagate a ZZ is to divide the rhizomes. Leaf cuttings can be propagated but can take several months to grow.
The ZZ plant can be a great starter plant for new plant owners or for people who travel, due to their low maintenance needs. That said, they still need water, light, and good soil like any plant.
*When planting in a pot without a drainage hole, avoid over watering by estimating 25% of the container’s overall volume, with appropriate drainage materials incorporated when planting.
- Delivery fees are dynamic according to volume ordered and are priced by zip code.
- Delivery fee is charged on top of order total.
- We will either use a third party delivery service or our own in house driver at our discretion.
- Deliveries will be anytime between the hours of 11-6 on the day selected. While we can not guarantee specific time frames, we will do our best to accommodate your preference of timeframe if noted.
- If it is a residential delivery with no doorman, we will reach out to the recipient to arrange delivery prior to scheduling.
- All deliveries are curbside. Driver will not set and place inside home or business.
- If the delivery is returned to Sprout Home due to the recipient not being available, an invoice will be sent to the purchaser for payment due for redelivery.
- Pick up orders will be automatically processed for requested day of pick up between the hours of 11-6.
- Please note which store you are picking up from when ordering. We have two storefronts in Chicago and product availability can vary depending on order.
- We ship USPS priority and USPS ground advantage within the Continental USA. We do not currently accept international orders.
- Timing and fees vary depending on delivery location and size and weight of package.
- We will normally get your package out within 3 business days.
- Not all items are shippable. All live plants and fresh floral are included in those items that we do not ship, they are available for local delivery or Chicago pick up only. The cart will not let you check out with shipping selected if there are only delivery or pick up items available.
- Items that are available to ship you will see a 'this item is available for shipping' logo on the item description.
- If a package is returned due to insufficient address we will contact sender for clarification and will need to charge for additional shipping.